
Is anyone else feeling absolutely bombarded by the oversaturation of photos, videos, web links, and status updates on Facebook? I guess we don't realize that we all want to individually update something special, but we don't realize that it just contributes to the crap in someone else's news feed. Plus, someone at Facebook keeps proposing look and feel changes to news feeds and profile organization which is actually annoying the people using it. (I personally could care less.) It’s like you’ve got your personal in box all set up the way you want it, and some mysterious administrator comes in and changes it for you. Is it mine, or is it mine? Seriously, A.) who cares?, and B.) forget it.
Facebook seems like the Thing we all love to hate sometimes. The really interesting thing is, the ease of connecting and communicating is so perilously easy on Facebook that no one who realizes this and is already using Facebook will ever truly leave it. There’s too much value in everyone being able to communicate and share with everyone else all in one spot.
But wait, there’s more! (Peril). If you’re NOT on Facebook, OR if you’re on it but you don’t pay attention to it, you miss half of peoples’ lives! People are so solely posting their lives’ updates that the Facebook news feed is the first and foremost broadcaster of personal news. This is a problem because people are not face to face communicating anymore. Telephone? What’s that? If you’re not on Facebook nor checking it regularly, you are not in the loop. Facebook is The Loop. Often you will not even realize that your best friend just found out she’s having a baby or that your favorite teacher from high school just passed away. Truly. Remarkable society we live in today.
Facebook has side bar ads that encourage you to “Like” other Facebook pages and applications in attempt to keep you ever more indelibly intuned to Facebook and to those who follow your updates. One I saw recently was: ““Like” this if you love your husband!” O_O Now I don’t swear much if ever, and that was a wtf moment for me. Why do I need to “Like” something on Facebook if I love my husband? My husband doesn’t care if Facebook knows I love him! Oh my gosh! If a side bar item is not in the ad category, it’s definitely in the stupid crap category.
The ever more interesting thing is, after having said all this AND it being true AND everyone else recognizing it’s true, Facebook has me for life. They’ve found a way to snag me in by making it so easy to keep in touch with intangible friends. They’ve also snagged me on a business note too. Because everyone else is snagged in, I have to jump on the bandwagon and provide a business face too!
Facebook seems like the Thing we all love to hate sometimes. The really interesting thing is, the ease of connecting and communicating is so perilously easy on Facebook that no one who realizes this and is already using Facebook will ever truly leave it. There’s too much value in everyone being able to communicate and share with everyone else all in one spot.
But wait, there’s more! (Peril). If you’re NOT on Facebook, OR if you’re on it but you don’t pay attention to it, you miss half of peoples’ lives! People are so solely posting their lives’ updates that the Facebook news feed is the first and foremost broadcaster of personal news. This is a problem because people are not face to face communicating anymore. Telephone? What’s that? If you’re not on Facebook nor checking it regularly, you are not in the loop. Facebook is The Loop. Often you will not even realize that your best friend just found out she’s having a baby or that your favorite teacher from high school just passed away. Truly. Remarkable society we live in today.
Facebook has side bar ads that encourage you to “Like” other Facebook pages and applications in attempt to keep you ever more indelibly intuned to Facebook and to those who follow your updates. One I saw recently was: ““Like” this if you love your husband!” O_O Now I don’t swear much if ever, and that was a wtf moment for me. Why do I need to “Like” something on Facebook if I love my husband? My husband doesn’t care if Facebook knows I love him! Oh my gosh! If a side bar item is not in the ad category, it’s definitely in the stupid crap category.
The ever more interesting thing is, after having said all this AND it being true AND everyone else recognizing it’s true, Facebook has me for life. They’ve found a way to snag me in by making it so easy to keep in touch with intangible friends. They’ve also snagged me on a business note too. Because everyone else is snagged in, I have to jump on the bandwagon and provide a business face too!
Oh, Facebook. How will you end up? How will we end up without you?
No comments:
Post a Comment