Monday, July 20, 2009

Sandcastle Cake

Here is the sandcastle cake. I created the base structure of chocolate cake with a chocolate pudding filling and covered it with fine-ground graham cracker crumbs to resemble sand. The turrets are cake cone bases with sugar cone tops, with white cake inside of them. The dark chocolate seashell pieces were store bought.

















Everyone liked it and was surprised how moist it was, despite the dry sand appeal to the design of its exterior.

It was fun to throw the "sand" on top of it. After spooning it on, I etched out the edges of the structure with my fingers like you would a real sand castle.


What I would improve if I made this again would be the turrets on the cake itself. They needed better securement. I also might find a castle-shaped cake pan instead of flat squares, to incorporate some brick action.

All in all, people were impressed to the point of saying "I don't even want to cut it, it's so cool!" and the flavor was excellent, so it was a success.

1 comment:

Ms Meliss said...

Nice.. you shoulda used blue cling wrap underneath for the water