Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cake!

Guess what, folks... I'm thinking of expanding my self-employed services... to CAKES! I am sure you will see this blog turn into a trials-and-tribulations encounter.

Cake designing and decorating has become a new hobby of mine, and sitting here in my cubicle with all the free mental time in the world, I'm thinking about it more. I envision it also being a good and fairly fun business to add to my existing business, or as a separate enterprise.

I want to be a cake maker. And by maker I mean innovator and designer.

The cake you see pictured here is the first and last designer cake I made. It was for Halloween, covered in tinted orange fondant which actually tasted good. So far, it's my only portfolio piece I have as far as cake making goes. I won't begin advertising this new business idea until I have a very good stock of portfolio images, and after I've done some experimenting with chemistries and physics of sugars and things. There is a huge lot to do with this endeavor.

I have this mini vision to become a local Ace of Cakes in my own right. My working business name as of now is "The Sugartiste!" - with an exclamation. Because, well, I am a sugar artiste, and that sounds like the most fun concept in the world. There is a huge realm of sugars and pastes and fondants and fillings that I have yet to unmask. It's not even food to me, which is funny. All these things are basically art materials, and it reminds me of those free and corporate-less days when I was young and simply being creative at "the art table" in my basement, making scenes out of clay or re-creating movie props. Baking cakes is not just baking cakes to me. White flour is a canvas, and sugar and food dye are my paints. Designing a themed cake, whether for someone's birthday or for a wedding or baby shower, is like a mini production, including related creative things put together to create a scene that looks so cool I have to remind people that it's edible.

Today I created a mental to-do list for planning a from-home cake designing business. I wouldn't be able to fully devote my time to it until I leave my corporate job. So this is my aspiration. I have lots to do, such as baking and experimenting, analyzing costs, posing as a client to local bakeries to see what they offer, and to see how I can offer something more awesome. In the meantime, holidays are my clients, and I plan to attempt projects to see how well I can pull them off. Then I can use my photo studio to capture images of my successes, and then eventually create an in-home, full delivery service bakery, called The Sugartiste! (with exclamation).

My plot to overturn The Man and work for myself is almost complete, mwahaa!

No comments: