Monday, May 31, 2010

Webster University Pearson House Cake

Congrats again to Beth on her graduation from Webster University! This idea had been concepting for a couple of months after I had asked Beth what kind of cake she wanted for her graduation party. Inevitably, the excitement over a "Pearson House Cake" was born. Pearson House is the building where Beth took all her English and creative writing courses, a cute little historic joint of which she's grown quite fond during her college days.



So concepting began, and my construction designs started with two 5"x5" squares of layered marble cake with chocolate filling.


I tried my hand at candy making for the first time, and was able to create this candy glass! It was such fun, and I was impressed with how realistic the candy actually turned out. (Still got leftovers.. would you like some glass to tide you over til dinner?)

Missy was a big help breaking the sheet (poured into a 13x9) into small squarish shapes for the windows. Good job, Miss!

Here am I, affixing and sculpting the rolled marshmallow fondant onto the cake base.


Here's the house front, completed.

...and from above.

Space was saved on the roof for some fancy floral which I ordered from a florist (Webster's colors, gold and navy). More floral went in back to simulate the garden in back of Pearson House. A gold-wrappered white chocolate Lindt Lindor Truffle became the iconic gazing globe in the courtyard behind Pearson.


Here are some shots I took of Beth on her graduation day earlier this month at Pearson House. She requested to do a shoot at her favorite spot on campus. We had fun!




No comments: