Thursday, October 13, 2011

Away Thou, Demons!

I have to preface this post by sharing my view on the realism of demons and evil manifesting itself into reality. Regardless of what anyone tells me to the contrary, I inevitably believe that ghosts, evil, demons and devilish beings do exist in this world, and that they can (and do) infiltrate our thoughts and dreams, frightening us and/or herding us away from righteousness. My rationale is thus: for all matter, there is antimatter. The same is true of paranormal and intangible spiritual matter too. If there can be such a Good as is God, there also can be such an Evil as is the Devil. As far as ghosts and paranormal activity, that is a shady realm easy to pshaw, but nevertheless deserving of respect and careful attention.

This subject was sparked in my mind today after listening to a radio show I tune into every morning on my drive to work. The host, Beau Vighn, and his cohost, Katie Cruise, normally discuss pop media with much hilarity. Today the topic was on the new television show, American Horror Story. This lead to Beau and Katie discussing the realism of paranormality and demons. As they discussed how foolish a person would be not to believe that these evils exist, I listened with an intrigued spiritual mindframe. Beau Vighn has often (in previous shows) highlighted his very Christian background. Today he highlighted an actual honest-to-God experience he encountered with a demon trying to physically work itself into his body and mind, and how he physically felt strengthened by his belief in God and the protection of Christ to keep the evil out. (He didn't go into detail, but said he'd tell the full story on the Halloween show later this month, daw! Can't wait for that.)

My. Gosh. Beau said it was giving him shivers just to vaguely recap his experience, and as I sat listening, I shivered just hearing him talk about it. He said he was brought to tears when this happened to him, just knowing that having faith in Christ literally and tangibly repelled a demon from entering him. I couldn't believe it.

I told the story to Missy later, and she recalled similar situations some Christian friends of hers also had, regarding demons being present and trying to enter bodies. She also mentioned that one of these friends said demons can manifest themselves into our dreams, try to manipulate our subconscious thoughts, or simply just frighten us. Whoa. This is heavy stuff! And frightening.

I had a dream a couple days ago in which a frightening and very unfamiliar presence was whispering into my mind. The voice was clear but somehow extra-terrestrial, and with it came the vague image of a non human face. The voice simply said to me "It is the end", and I figured the implication of that to be "...of the world". It scared me to waking and sent my heart racing.

How do you ward off these demons that enter one's subconscious? Prayer. And faith. I never thought on this before, but normally I pray for my loved ones, for things to work out for them, or for myself, so that I can correct my mishaps and live peaceably in this world. I never thought to ask God to protect me against demons, but it's such a clear and obvious request. Demons are so ever present among us, in many forms. I trust that God will deliver me from evil. If I ever encountered such deliverance on a real, physical level during waking life, I would break down in tears at the beauty and the power of God. I wouldn't know what else to do with myself. I must pray more about these things!

In memory of past loved ones, in hopes they have passed peaceably and without demonic intervention, and also in recognition that the true spirit of Halloween is to frighten away the demons which plague us, Happy Halloween! And go God, for being an awesome shield against antiGod.

No comments: